Tuesday 31 May 2022

Heavy Metal Truants Virtual Charity Bike Ride - Day 2 31-5-22

 Oh Deer! A Day of Mixed Weather

I was fortunate to have little sister Sue cycling with me again today.

We had an errand to do in Lyndhurst so cycled up to Standing Hat to go to Lyndhurst via the trails. "Hat" apparently means 'a raised area with trees'.

Errand completed, we headed to Emery Down. 

A few drops of rain appeared, but we continued, heading towards Millyford Bridge. The drops became a downpour so we sheltered under a tree and put on our waterproof jackets. Although there wasn't the dark skies of yesterday, the rain continued, so we found a sheltered log to sit on by a stream and had our lunch.




The sun came out so off came our waterproof jackets and we headed onto the trails from Millyford Bridge. The trees looked stunning.

 The rain came down again and on went the waterproof jackets!

We continued on our route, cycling up the hill and coming out at Canadian War memorial. Find out the history of why the Canadians are remembered here.

With the rain showers, it would have been very tempting to head for home at this point, but if teenagers can face cancer treatment and children face many challenges, then I can put up with some rain showers!

We headed round the back of Bolderwood towards Burley, a route I hadn't cycled for a while and were rewards by several sightings of deer herds. With full zoom on my phone, this was the best picture I could get.


From the outskirts of Burley, we headed along the Lyndhurst Road, then back through the trails to join the road to Bolderwood and luckily saw more deer.

We stopped for a drink and a snack at the Knightwood Oak, thought to be one of the New Forest's oldest trees. Find out more here.



We then headed for home, via the trails to get maximum distance in today. With a small extra loop at the end, we clocked up 30.21 miles.

Today's deer count - lots!

Only 114.12 miles to go! Tomorrow will be a rest day with just a couple of local journeys to/from Pilates etc.

Thank you for reading this and supporting me. I am blown away that my sponsorship hip total has gone up to £390

Julie x

P.S. My sponsorship page can be seen at https://sportsgiving.co.uk/sponsorship/entry/622518




No comments:

Post a Comment

A BIG Thank You

I was relieved to get my 175 miles completed in the allotted time. I was delighted that I came 40th out of 68 virtual riders. I was also the...