Wednesday 8 June 2022

Ride 6 -Heavy Metal Truants Virtual Charity Bike Ride 6th June 2022

I had intended riding on Sunday after our Jubliee Party, but the heavens opened and I was tired. I did feel guilty about not riding just because it was raining when children the world over are facing colossal struggles - children in war-torn Ukraine, teenagers going through cancer treatments etc.

So on Monday I needed to get 'back in the saddle again'. When I first sit on the bike, my backside groans and says ''not again", but between myself and my backside, we get through the pain and its trivial  compared to what many children are going through.

Knowing that my cycling is helping four great children's charities (Teenage Cancer Trust, Nordoff Robbins, Childline and Save the Children) is a great motivator for me.

I am bowled over by the support and sponsorship too. This also really motivates me, so thank you. My current total is a whopping £500


Back to my ride! Monday was a dull day, and I dallied about doing jobs, so didn't get out on my bike until the afternoon when thankfully the sun came out, although it was windy!

I hadn't seen baby donkeys this year, so Barry suggested that I cycle around East Boldre where he had seen baby donkeys at the weekend.

So I headed out from Brockenhurst towards Sway into a head wind and turned left at the War Memorial, with the intention of turning left down Shirley Holms Road, but when I go there, there was a road block, which I was delighted to see!

I headed to Boldre, Pilley, Norleywood and did a quick detour down Tanners Lane to the beach and have a bite of my sandwich.

On my way back along Tanners Lane a Kestrel was hovering and then sat on a pole. I zoomed in and took this (poor) picture, but should have waited as when I drew level with it, its plumage looked stunning in the sunshine.

I then continued on my way and deviated from my normal route and headed to East Boldre. As a cycled along I got heckled by some cyclists going in the other direction. They both looked familiar, one especially so! (Barry and Fred).

There were no baby donkeys in East Boldre, but these adults were in the shelter at the bus stop!

I headed towards Hatchet Pond and back along the windy (its always windy, especially so today) road towards Brockenhurst. 

This pony was worthy of a brief stop.
By Roundhill, I turned right along the gravel tracks and headed (with several looks at the map!) towards Holland Wood campsite. Friends were staying there in their motorhome so I was able to say hello and have a quick browse at their lovely abode.

Barry also came for the nose so we were able to cycle home together (with me desperately peddling to keep up!)

This gave me 26.19 miles




I had a quick turnaround  as I had a committee meeting in the evening. I cycled to this, but forgot to record it! Afterwards, I cycled into the village to meet Barry and our friends for Virtually, this takes me to a drink - I forgot to record this too!!

Afterwards I cycled home with Barry and this gave me another 1.2 miles.

Barry has calculated that I am now in Burton, home of Marmite.
This takes me to 151.4 miles

Only 23.6 miles to go by Friday. 

Thank you for reading this

Julie x

https://sportsgiving.co.uk/sponsorship/entry/622518






No comments:

Post a Comment

A BIG Thank You

I was relieved to get my 175 miles completed in the allotted time. I was delighted that I came 40th out of 68 virtual riders. I was also the...